What’s the difference between PhoneGap and Cordova?
In October 2011, PhoneGap was donated to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under the name Apache Cordova. It will remain free and open source under the Apache License, Version 2.0. Think about Cordova’s relationship to PhoneGap like WebKit’s relationship to Safari or Chrome.
At the time of publication (e.g. January, 2012), the framework currently supports the Accelerometer, Camera, Compass, Contacts, File, Geolocation, Media, Network, Notifications (Alert, Sound, and Vibrate) and Storage device APIs. There is full support for all of these features in the newer iOS Devices (3GS+) and Android. For more details on support for Blackberry, WP7, Sybian, webOS, and Bada devices
How to start with?
Its pretty simple steps to follow..
1. Install node.js and phonegap in your machine.
2. Create an app using command prompt line
3. Write your own js and index.html file in the newly created app
4. Upload to phonegap build
5. Test in multiple devices
How to install?
NodeJS onto your workstation to run AppBuilder:
1. Download the NodeJS installer for your system from http://nodejs.org/download/.
2. Run the NodeJS installer, and follow the prompts in the Install Wizard.
3. Verify that the node.js folder is in your System Environment PATH.
4. Open a command prompt, and enter npm to verify the NodeJS package manager is
Just follow the below link to install phonegap and cross check once in command prompt whether installation is success or not.
Ensure that you have NodeJS installed, then open your commandline and run the following:
C:\> npm install -g phonegap
Once installation completes, you can invoke
phonegap on command line for further help.
How to use?
Before you start of using it, make sure to know the basics of HTML,JS and CSS.
$ phonegap create my-app $ cd my-app $ phonegap run android You can learn it from here
Else you can zip your application file and logon to https://build.phonegap.com/ and create an adobeid if you are new to build. Once logged in..Then create app name and description for that and finally upload your build.
Now a QR code will generate for your app. Just by using QR code scanner in your device, install your own app and test the functionality. Thats it 😀
1. Install nodejs
2. Install phonegap
3. After installation open command prompt and enter phonegap create testapp(here i named it testapp, you can have your own name). This will create testapp folder in users/account here.
4. Once after the project created, you can browse to www folder of your testapp and change content in index.html and write your own script in js etc.
5. Now you can upload your testapp to https://build.phonegap.com
Here create an adobe id and login to your account. Prior to that create an github account and install github for windows as shown in below.
5.1 Install github for windows
5.2 Upload your testapp repository to your account using this github desktop. Once after upload, do commit and click publish. Now you can see your repository like below..
5.3 After publishing you can see your repository in your account like below..
5.4 Copy your gitclone url from the image shown below
5.5 Now login to your phonegap build and paste the clone url like shown below
5.6 your repository will link up to phonebuild like show below
5.7 Once done, click enable debugging and then click ready to build
5.8 Now QR code will be generated in your phonegap account. Just install QR code scanner in your smartphone and scan the code to install the testapp apk in your smartphone.
Thats it, Now you can install apk file in your phone and start using it 😀
If you are not holding devices to test..then just install bluestack in your machine 🙂
Hope you love it..Stay tuned to Sathyalog 😀
For eclipse installation: Clickhere
You can download complete reference of phonegap 2.7 here