Flow Chart Defined
A flow chart is a graphical or symbolic representation of a process. Each step in the process is represented by a different symbol and contains a short description of the process step. The flow chart symbols are linked together with arrows showing the process flow direction.
Common Flowchart Symbols
Different flow chart symbols have different meanings. The most common flow chart symbols are:
- Terminator: An oval flow chart shape indicating the start or end of the process.
- Process: A rectangular flow chart shape indicating a normal process flow step.
- Decision: A diamond flow chart shape indication a branch in the process flow.
- Connector: A small, labeled, circular flow chart shape used to indicate a jump in the process flow. (Shown as the circle with the letter “A”, below.)
- Data: A parallelogram that indicates data input or output (I/O) for a process.
- Document: Used to indicate a document or report (see image in sample flow chart below).